[geeklog-devel] GSoC 2008: Core notification service

Tony Bibbs tony at tonybibbs.com
Tue Mar 18 18:05:01 EDT 2008

I fail to see the difference as he described the service.  I know you feel there is a distinction there but I'd say from a design standpoint what he pitched is the guts how we implement events in GL2.  The work to do that is fairly trivial...especially when you have the GL2 PHP code on top of it:

Here's the manager (the thing handling all requests):
http://gl2.tonybibbs.com/browser/system/ActionManager.php

Here's the GL2 Plugin Interface.  Notice the handleAction() method.
http://gl2.tonybibbs.com/browser/system/PluginInterface.php

Here's an action class (not to be be confused with the Java/Struts definition...it's basically an event):
http://gl2.tonybibbs.com/browser/system/Action.php

Seriously, backport to PHP4, add a few structures to the DB and you are done...at least with how you do the messaging/even handling.

Obviously take all that for what it is worth (maybe nothing)?

--Tony