[geeklog-devel] Bitwise SQL for ACL checks

Joe Mucchiello joe at ThrowingDice.com
Tue May 20 18:22:22 EDT 2008

I do believe Oracle and DB2 support bitwise ops. What databases does
that leave?

Worst case, you could convert ACLs to binary strings and then use
substr to find the bits. So an ACL of 35 (32 | 2 | 1) would end up in
the database as 00010011 (or 0000000000010011). The "rights & 1"
where clause becomes "substring(rights, 7, 1) = 1"

Or you can use letters:

$db_rights = 'ABCDEFGHIJ';  <-- index this array using "log(2)
targetright" So ACL 16 becomes 'D'
So you create function that turn "10011" into EBA and store the
string EBA in the rights column.
Checking for access becomes "rights like '%A%' ".

There's always another way to store the data. But since GL2 uses
named queries, under the hood it can be as convoluted as necessary.

   Joe