[geeklog-devel] GSoC installer

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Sun Nov 9 13:34:54 EST 2008

Michael Jervis wrote:

>Fatal error: Call to undefined function curl_init() in C:\Program
>Files\xamp\geeklog\geeklog-hg-dev\public_html\admin\install\lib-install.php
>on line 521

Just ran into this myself again. This needs to be resolved somehow.

Okay, I thought, why use cURL when we use HTTP_Request everywhere else?
Well, turns out we don't have the path to PEAR at this point. Hmm.

Matt, any suggestions?

But the fun doesn't stop there. It currently does a check for the
site_admin_url, which usually does not end in a slash, e.g.

    http://example.com/admin

Doing a HEAD request on that URL will return a 301 (at least on Apache)
for a redirect to admin/ (with the slash). But if the URL is not
correct, it could be redirecting somewhere else entirely. So I'd suggest
we only accept 200 status codes, to be on the safe side (and add a slash
to the URL before we do the request).

And now comes the shooting-yourself-in-the-foot bit: I've made a change
recently so that the dreaded "Unfortunately, an error has occurred ..."
message will come with a 500 status code. Doing a HEAD request for
admin/ will fire up Geeklog - which isn't fully installed at this point.
Particularly the DB credentials may not be available - and so the
request fails with a 500, even though the URL is correct.

Do we want to accept a 500 here (if there's something wrong with your
server, you wouldn't have gotten that far anyway)? Or do we simply drop
the entire URL check again?

http://www.geeklog.net/
http://geeklog.info/