[geeklog-devel] FrOSCon 2009

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Tue Aug 25 15:09:16 EDT 2009

Dirk Haun wrote:

>Only when he started a sentence with
>"Back when I founded Drupal ..." did I realize who I was talking to ;-)
>Nice guy. He gave the keynote[4] on Sunday which I couldn't attend. I'll
>have to watch the video

This one made me laugh: I'm just skipping through the keynote recording
and he has a slide up: "Screw roadmaps".

Quote: "We've never really had roadmaps. We've always had a sense of
direction but not a roadmap." And he talks about how roadmaps don't
really work for a community - you need to let people work on what
they're good at. "Let it flow, like water flows."

I've always expressed that I don't think a roadmap (in the traditional
sense) would work for us. We're not a commercial software business, so
you can't bring people to commit to something by a certain date. This is
our hobby - when real life happens, it'll always have precedence (and
there goes your roadmap). I guess we could be better at expressing the
direction in which we're going, though.

As I said, I've only skipped through the keynote yet, but it does sound
interesting. If anyone's interested, it's the "Keynode"[sic] file in
this directory:
<http://ftp.stw-bonn.de/mirror/froscon/2009/
prerelease_please_do_not_redistribute/so/hs12/>

Please note the URL - these are pretty raw recordings and not for
redistribution. More polished ones will be provided later on.

http://www.geeklog.net/
http://geeklog.info/