[geeklog-devel] That "social" thing

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Wed Dec 2 07:25:10 EST 2009

So we have this vague idea for a GSoC project: "Add Social Networking
Features"[1]. And because it is so vague, we didn't get any good
student applications for it. After all, if we don't know what it
should do, how are students supposed to come up with a decent
application for it?

I was thinking that maybe before adding friends and stuff, we should
be starting with something more basic (and useful). Like giving users
more control over their profile page. Here are some ideas:

Some services (e.g. mixxt, SlideShare) have a feature called a "wall"
where users can leave messages on other user's profile pages. Instead
of reinventing the wheel, how about allowing comments on a user's
profile?

Badges. Many services are offering badges that you can embed into your
homepage. I'd like to have a Dopplr badge on my profile, for example.
Others may prefer a Flickr badge to show off their latest photos, and
so on.

In a similar vein: RSS feeds. Why not allow embedding your favorite
RSS feed on your profile?

Overall, we should give users more control over what is displayed on
their profile page. Let them hide the PGP key and the latest stories
but let them allow comments on profiles, etc.

Once the profile feels more like a user's "home page", we can think
about adding friends and such.

There are probably other things we can come up with. Is anybody
interested to take on coordinating such an effort? There seems to be
some interest in these sort of things. Also, at least some of these
features are probably better implemented as plugins, which may require
new / updated / fixed plugin API functions (there was a related forum
discussion recently).

bye, Dirk

[1] http://wiki.geeklog.net/index.php/SoC_socialnetworking

--