[geeklog-devel] Plugin repository (was: RFC: Plugin auto install)

Matt West matt.danger.west at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 18:04:18 EST 2009

A plugin repository is an excellent idea for several reasons:

- It centralizes the location of plugins. Users would be able to go
and browse through 1 central location for plugins, either from within
the Geeklog plugin administration area or through the Geeklog.net site.
- It could allow us to better standardize plugin structures and
possibly update the plugin development guidelines.

The only downsides that I can think of is that we would be adding
another hosting service that may carry an additional cost and require
additional administration. How will the plugin hosting process work?

We may want to think about a moderation process for the public
repository to try and mitigate any malicious plugins. I think the way
that Adium manages plugins and add-ons works well:

http://www.adiumxtras.com

Plugin authors need to register with the site (we could just use
Geeklog.net accounts) and plugins are reviewed after they're uploaded.
My experience when submitting my own plugins has been a 6 hour to 1
day wait. I consider this reasonable.

I think this could be extended for Themes as well.