[geeklog-devel] geeklog-devel Digest, Vol 29, Issue 6

Tim Patrick tcsp1900 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 28 23:23:14 EDT 2009

Hey Guys,

I have noticed something - In the course of making the repository, I needed a ZIP archive library. However the PEAR version, ARCHIVE_ZIP is now obsolete, now superseded as PHP's ZipArchive class, from the zlib extension.
However, not all hosts support this extension, so there is a problem. Since it is not the best of ideas to write code that works with an obsolete library, writing using ARCHIVE_ZIP is not good. However, writing with ZipArchive effectively leaves the users who do not have this extension enabled and are on shared hosts where they can't out in the dark.

What do you guys think should be done?
I am thinking of writing a library class that uses the maintained ZipArchive if it is supported, else it falls back to using the ARCHIVE_ZIP obsolete package from PEAR.

- Tim