[geeklog-devel] Google Summer of Code 2009: Geeklog

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Thu Mar 12 15:01:10 EDT 2009

saurabh gupta wrote:

>> My gut feeling is that our users won't be willing to spend a lot of time
>> training a spam filter. I may be wrong, though
>
>Well, what I thought in this part is that the spam filter will work in its
>own way initially, but in case if sometimes  a post is made *spam* by
>mistake, then user can mark it as *not spam* (similar to what we have in
>gmail) and the spam filter should be intelligent enough to adapt to this and
>vice versa. Training will be done automatically.

You would still have to save all the posts, at least for a while, to be
able to correct any false negatives. So apart from the technical issues
(you currently can't save a post marked as spam such that it could be
posted properly again later), there's also the issue of having a
(possibly) really long list of spam posts in a queue.

Of course, you could purge that queue on a regular basis, e.g. delete
all posts older than 24 or 48 hours. We would have to test how that
works in real life.

http://www.geeklog.net/
http://geeklog.info/