[geeklog-devel] Google Summer of Code 2009: Geeklog

saurabh gupta saurabhgupta1403 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 06:47:49 EDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Dirk Haun <dirk at haun-online.de> wrote:
> saurabh gupta wrote:
>
>>> "Intelligence" or not, there should be a
>>> way to port your Spam-X data over to another site
>>
>>Glad to know that you liked the idea. This is basically, an extension
>>to the SWOT, where you can pass the intelligence and even the list of
>>spammers.
>
> Hmm, not so sure, actually. SWOT is intended to pass specific
> information around, while the other idea was to allow transfer of _all_
> the information from one site to another.
>
> SWOT has some overhead (e.g. the hops count) that you wouldn't need if
> you want to transfer your entire Spam-X data. And apart from the
> overhead, it may even be a good idea to use a different format for the
> "full" feed so that it can not be used as a SWOT feed.

Exactly. The idea of full feed import/export is helpful when sites of
same kind or same kind of business are created. Like SWOT, the data
can be stored in specific file  formats like database file. The
classes and methods available in geeklog library can be used
extensively to manipulate and read the database. Or, we can use the
normal <xml> format also to store the data. In fact, providing a good
GUI along with more user options will turn out to be a good idea and
in later stages, more and more features can be added or fields can be
added in the content stored for spam-X feed.

> For example, on one of my sites I'm blocking foreign IP addresses
> aggressively. Get a spam from Comcast? Block them! The site's in German,
> I don't care (there) about visitors[1] from the US. But that's all
> specific to that one site and I certainly don't want anybody else to use
> that information, even accidentally (because they think it was my real
> SWOT feed).
>
> So I guess what I'm trying to say is that such an "export" feed could
> use a similar, but more compact format, that's clearly distinguishable
> from a SWOT feed.

I agree with your point and for the case exemplified by you above, the
import/export feature of spam-X is very useful.

> bye, Dirk
>
> [1] actually: contributors - visitors could still browse the site, but
> they wouldn't be able to post something
>

> --
> http://www.haun-online.de/
> http://geeklog.info/