[geeklog-devel] About the OpenID 2.0 project

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Wed Mar 25 16:49:55 EDT 2009

I started this as a reply to Evgeniy's draft proposal, but I guess I
should make it a separate post for easy reference:

Since it looks we would have to do this project the hard way (i.e. write
a new OpenID library), here are a few thoughts and ideas of mine
regarding this:

Since there doesn't appear to be a GPLv2-compatible library that does
what we want (OpenID 2.0, both Consumer and Provider), I think we should
do everyone a favour and make this a true standalone library that
doesn't require Geeklog in any way so that others can also benefit from
it. Which means that it should be done properly. Meaning:

- PHP 5 only
- an eye on the future (OpenID 2.1 is already under discussion)
- What happens to it after GSoC? For example, this could be spun off
into a separate open source project.
- Geeklog comes second. If it's done properly, we can always integrate
it later.

In more dramatic words, I'd be willing to sacrifice one of our slots for
the greater good (oh dear, how cheezy does that sound?). We've had one
"cool" / "risky" / "experimental" project in each of the previous years,
and this year, this would be it.

Having said that: If we go that route, then the application should be
really solid and convincing. A half-finished library won't help us.

Thoughts?

http://www.geeklog.net/
http://geeklog.info/