[geeklog-devel] GSOC 2009

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Sun Mar 29 11:59:05 EDT 2009

Tim Patrick wrote:

>I am very interested in working on Geeklog for the GsoC.

Welcome!

>This project is
>appealing because I would like to see this become much like mozillas add-
>on website

Yep, that certainly was an inspiration for this project :) So you're on
the right track there.

>For updating, my idea is that the users site will automatically check
>the plugin repository for an update

I think it should be possible to switch that to manual checks. Automatic
checks may not be welcome in some environments. Even Geeklog itself
doesn't "phone home" - you have to click on the "check for updates" link
yourself.

>This list would be in a simple XML structure for easy and quick
>parsing, and be very small in size to prevent network holdups.

The original idea was to use RSS or Atom feeds, mainly because Geeklog
can already read and write them. But that's not set in stone.

>Maybe as well, we
>can allow users to remove them from this manager plugin as well?

The current Plugin Manager uses the word "delete" when uninstalling a
plugin, but only removes it from the database, not from the hard drive.
If proper checks are in place, I don't see why it shouldn't actually go
and remove the plugin entirely.

>Thank you for reading this, I hope to work with you guys in the future :)

Thanks for your proposal. Matt has volunteered to mentor this project,
so I leave everything else to him.

http://www.geeklog.net/
http://geeklog.info/