[geeklog-devel] JavaScript, again

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Tue Nov 10 15:23:30 EST 2009

(Continuing from <http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?
showtopic=87955> which I thought was growing off-topic and more suited
for this mailing list)

So we're on the topic of JavaScript again ...

Since I seem to be perceived as the one holding things up, let me try
and list a few of the things that make me hesitant regarding JavaScript
in general:

- Believe it or not, but I still use Lynx[1] on a regular basis. It
comes in handy that even then I can still change my account settings.
It's sad, though, that I can't change the site settings, as the
Configuration panel requires JavaScript. Btw, yes, I do have JavaScript
enabled in Firefox.

- Accessibility. This is an issue for government sites (508[2] or
similar local laws) but also affects private and company sites (e.g. the
CEO of the company I work for recently "discovered" that as an issue).

- Security. Frankly, I don't know a lot about JavaScript security and,
as a result, wouldn't feel comfortable telling people that we're "the
secure CMS" if there's code of which I don't really know whether it's
secure or not.

Obviously, those aren't really issues with JavaScript as such but with
the way JavaScript is often used (as I see it on other sites). So maybe
if we "do it right", that could become a unique selling point for
Geeklog: Yes, we do JavaScript, but we're still accessible and secure!

I guess it comes down to two things: I see an opening here for a
"JavaScript guy" (or gal), i.e. someone with some background in JS who
could (help us) answer some of the above questions. Any takers /
suggestions? Doesn't have to be someone from the current team (maybe
bringing in an "outsider" would even be a good thing at this point).

And then there's the issue of adopting a JavaScript library. Since that
seems to be about the only consensus on that topic so far: We need to
agree on _something_. The last time we discussed this, we ended up with
something like 6 different recommendations from 5 different people.
Looks like everybody would simply suggest the library they're familiar
with. And I guess the ones that are out there and are somewhat popular
aren't really all that different from each other.

So, I'm trying a different approach and go ahead and suggest we use
jQuery. Reasons: Nothing particular, other than that it seems to be
popular and that I like what little I have seen from it.

Comments?

/me steps down from the soapbox and dons asbestos underwear

bye, Dirk

[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynx_%28web_browser%29>
[2] <http://www.section508.gov/>

--