[geeklog-devel] Autoinstall plugins and dependencies

Randy Kolenko Randy.Kolenko at nextide.ca
Mon Oct 5 09:06:05 EDT 2009

> Yes that sums it up. If we want to do version checking for plugin
dependencies
> we'll have to figure out a way to compare version numbers (difficult,
since we
> don't specify a versioning system).

So, extending your initial idea of:

PluginA_Required = array('PluginB', 'PluginC');

This could simply be an array of arrays:

PluginA_Required = array(
	array('PluginB','1.1.0'),
	array('PluginC','2.1.1')
);

And the installer would check for the version number tacked in the
plugin table.
The plugin_required array could be part of the $info return array in the
autoinstall function.
If a plugin is not installed and is in the required array AND it exists
in the install path, the installer could go ahead and install the
dependant plugins.

Likewise, it would be a good idea for the autoinstaller to be able to
test out file writing permissions for those plugins that require dumping
data to the file system.  That could easily be another return in the
$info array.

However we still need the autoinstall to be able to return error codes
and/or write them to the error.log file depending on how/where the
installation is happening.

-randy