[geeklog-devel] Handling of 'special' characters in 1.60sr2

Rob Griffiths robg at griffsweb.com
Sat Oct 17 00:54:53 EDT 2009

After a long and sometimes frustrating afternoon, macosxhints.com is
finally upgraded to Geeklog 1.6.0sr2. One of the reasons I was really
looking forward to this upgrade was the better handling of special
characters in story submissions, which I seem to recall reading about
in this list over the last year or two.

Unfortunately, my experience with the new system is that handling of
special characters is still broken, though not quite as badly as
before - at least on my domain. As an example, I tried this very basic
test story (on both macosxhints.com and geeklog.net), submitted in
HTML mode:

<pre>a \ b <> c | d $ e</pre>

<code>a \ b <> c | d $ e</code>
<tt>a \ b <> c | d $ e</tt>
a \ b <> c | d $ e

My expectation for the output of this story would be:

[mono]a \ b <> c | d $ e

a \ b <> c | d $ e

a \ b <> c | d $ e[end mono[

a \ b <> c | d $ e

On geeklog.net, this worked as expected. On macosxhints.com, though,
all the backslashes were stripped out, from both the coded bits, and
the plain HTML final line. Does anyone have any idea *why* it works on
one site, but not another, when both are running 1.6.0.sr2? I've
looked at the various config options, but don't see anything there
that would explain this oddity. Something in the PHP configuration?

Even worse than the missing backslashes, though, is what has happens
to the input area -- the special characters are now displayed as their
HTML entities, making the submission very hard to read. For instance:

<pre>a \ b <> c | d $ e</pre>

To a user, the conversion of the normal characters to their HTML
entities may be very confusing, especially in the bit of "regular"
text after the code examples. For my users, this is far from ideal --
the text in the input form shouldn't, in my opinion, ever change from
what the user put there. I understand it needs to be encoded for
display, but it should be unencoded in the input box. In Geeklog 1.4,
this didn't happen at all -- sure, it ate the backslashes, but all the
rest of the characters were displayed in their normal form.

Help? Any chance of fixes for the encoding of the submission form? Any
idea how I can get my backslashes to work as they do on geeklog.net?

thanks;
-rob.