[geeklog-devel] Calendar Plugin - Recurring Events

Vincent Furia vfuria at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 13:13:39 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 10:54 AM, Vlad Voicu <vladvoic at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Sorry, I misinterpreted this, I now realize that you wanted to keep
> the rrule as a string, not as a table. I suggested a table because it
> is easier to treat complex events and exceptions this way. I'll look
> deeper in the Ical format for recurring events, but as far as I know,
> it doesn't support exceptions from recurrence rules. If we decide we
> don't want exceptions, I think using Ical's format is the right way to
> do it.

iCal does support exceptions to recurring events. See
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545#section-3.8.5, or more specifically
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5545#section-3.8.5.1.

Section 3.8.5.1 specifically details recurring events. If you look at some
of the examples in 3.8.5.3, you can see how the iCal standard can so some
pretty crazy recursion rules.

-Vinny