[geeklog-devel] Config caching (was: SOCNET)

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Thu Feb 25 13:03:42 EST 2010

Chris 'Chipper' Chiapusio wrote:

>What problem was solved when we moved the config into the database?

Convenience. Originally, the config.php only contained settings that you
didn't need to change a lot. Over time, it aquired more and more
settings that you wanted to change more often. And so you had to
download the file, edit it, and upload it again. The Configuration GUI
addressed that problem.

>was that to make multi-host websites more managable?

No, but it's a good thing to keep in mind. There's a simple hack for
running several sites off of one code base, but it would break with such
a cache (pretty much any cache files, in fact).

http://www.haun-online.de/accu/