[geeklog-devel] PHP 4.4 vs. 4.3

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Sun Mar 14 10:02:21 EDT 2010

Touchy subject ahead ...

While preparing an updated collection of the PEAR classes to ship with
Geeklog, I noticed that the current version of the base PEAR package
requires PHP 4.4.0 now (actually since PEAR 1.8.0 - we're still shipping
1.7.2 with Geeklog 1.6.1).

Would anybody be terribly upset if we raise the minimum required PHP
version for the next Geeklog release to PHP 4.4.0 (from 4.3.0)?

I know, some would like to kill PHP 4 support altogether ASAP. I think
we should stick with it for one more release cycle and then switch to
PHP 5 only for the November release.

PHP 4 has been officially dead since 2008-08-08 but some Linux
distributions with long-term support still support it.

So, PHP 4.4.0 now, PHP 5 in November?

bye, Dirk

P.S. The next release will also finally drop support for MySQL 3.

--
http://www.geeklog.net/
http://geeklog.info/