[geeklog-devel] Un-cluttering the geeklog.net front page

Sami Barakat sami at sbarakat.co.uk
Sun Mar 21 12:32:15 EDT 2010

These point are taken from the perspective of a new user coming to
Geeklog.net, they wont have a user account and they wont know much about
Geeklog. So we should put the most useful information right at the top.

Right Blocks

Tom wrote:
> - Need to have a center block staticpage at the top designed with new users
> in mind. It should direct them where to download Geeklog and how to get
> started. The staticpage should have a few nice graphics with the information
> to dress up the homepage a bit. (like Joomla or Wordpress has)
+1 from me. I think the "What is Geeklog?" block should be moved to the
centre, above the featured story. And change it to say "Welcome to
Geeklog" or something similar, phrasing it is a question makes you feel
like your taking a test or something. It also says that we're not even
sure what it is and we need to remind ourselves.

> - I like the forum center block, it should stay.
+1, it keeps the homepage up to date with the latest user generated
happenings, which shows there's a vibrant community.

Euan McKay wrote:
 > - International links can lose the description to save space
+1

The "Who's New" block does not really need to be there, it doesn't give
any value. Or at-least move it lower down so it doesn't have such a
prominent position, under "User Functions" maybe?

The "Bounties!" block is only relevant to developers, not the average
user. It should be removed, you can get to it from the link under the
Development section. But this may cause issues with the Sponsors, so
that part of it can stay.

Left Blocks

Euan McKay wrote:
 > - Get rid of older stories block?
+1

The What's New Block can be moved to the right, under Who's Online, it
shouldn't be hidden away beneath the fold.

Links at the top

- Remove Contribute Link
If your not logged in your presented with an error message, not helpful
to new users. Can this only be shown when you are logged in?

- Remove Calendar Link
The last event thats in the calendar was in Aug 2009, it doesn't seem to
be used that often. There is no point showing new users an empty calendar.

- Remove Advanced Search Link
You can already get to the advanced search from the link under the
search box, it doesn't need to be there as well.

Sami