[geeklog-devel] Improvement of Installation GUI

Abhishek Shrivastava abhi.nitt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 18:46:27 EDT 2010

Hello,

>It's a different philosophy. Systems like Joomla or WordPress put
>everything inside the webroot and then try to protect stuff that
>shouldn't be accessible. We say: Don't put it into the webroot in the
>first place.

Okay I'm finally getting a grasp of it. Its more secure to avoid putting it
in the webroot itself, but it requires users to be able to do that, which is
not possible in case of users who host their websites on bought domains.
Will just renaming the folder is enough secure in that case ?

>The idea of the project is to be able to give control of the
>configuration to people (or groups of people) with separate roles. So if
>we have a person who's responsible for the contents of the Calendar, we
>should - optionally - be able to give them control of the Calendar
>configuration options while preventing them from messing with the site's
>email settings. That's not currently possible.

Oh ok, so there can be only 1 user with a "specific" role... and multiple
users will have "unique" roles (if provided)...am I right ?
 It would still require editing of the config class and new fields would
have to be added to permissions database to account for configurations
access control.

Probably, It is possible to have a separate table something like
"config_perms", in which to every configuration there can be a uid of the
user who has access to it. So everytime a user wants to see some
configurations, only those fields to which he has access could be returned
from the DB. This would also allow very fine-grained control, on per-option
basis.

2) SEARCH for CONFIGS

Instead of implementing it as a usual search form, with results displayed
after submit, how about using "text suggestion" which will show suggestions
in real-time as user types in the input box? This can be done using AJAX
based approach and then using jQuery the appropriate fields are created and
the user can edit that configuration and then save again using AJAX. No page
reloads required!

3) New UI ElementBasically, we need checkboxes and radio buttons instead of
dropdowns wherever possible.. ?
Would need some revision of the configurations, but easy to implement once
they are identified.

I also have some more suggesstions in my mind coming for the project, will
let you know soon :)

Regards,
Abhishek.