[geeklog-devel] Geeklog Tooltips

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Sat Nov 27 12:07:27 EST 2010

> More as a side note: We should be careful about the information we put in
tooltips as it may not be
> available easily on touch screen devices. I've tested the above examples
and they all work on my iPad.
> However, I'm not sure what would happen if such a tooltip is attached to a
link. Since you can't hover
> over a link on a touch screen device, it may not be possible to see the
tooltip text without also
> activating the link.

This issue was part of a discussion on tooltips and mobile devices. Here is
a bit more info quoted from a comment the author made:

"That's actually not true.especially if you have a newer "full-browser"
phone like Android or the iPhone. The CSS :hover pseudo class isn't
fantastic on mobile devices, but it can still work. Links are a different
story because of the action fired on click, but an element (anchor included)
with a :hover pseudo class will display that action on touch. I realize this
isn't the point of the article at all, but say you're doing hover actions
with Javascript, like a drop down menu - one touch will fire the hover
action, and a second touch will fire the "normal" click action. Maybe that's
just my Android phone - and I apologize for my ignorance if it is."

Tom

> My questions is, do you see Geeklog needing just one type of tooltip (in
this case something similar to the classic in the above example) or will
there be the need for other types of tooltips? (i.e. Critical, Help,
Information and Warning).

I could imaging that the different types can come in handy. Can't think of
an obvious example right now, though ...