[geeklog-devel] Geeklog Topics and Blocks

Vincent Furia vfuria at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 19:19:52 EDT 2011

I had done some thinking on this several years ago. The most flexible design
I came up with is using "tag" style backend. Instead of having tid's
associated with stories, there would be topic_assignments (or some better
named...) table allowing a many-to-many relationship between stories (or
blocks, or plugins, etc) and topics.

I went so far as to also consider how to handle sub-topics. Easy way: you
could define topic relationships by having a topic separator (e.g. "-" or
"/") in the topic name. Hard way: create a hierarchal data structure in the
database (parent child relationship, or tree representation similar to how
comments are not handled). The latter design would allow more flexibility,
though the former would be significantly less work to implement.

Any change that modified the database would require quite a bit of work (as
my suggestion in the first paragraph would). If you end up going with any of
these ideas, I had thought out quite a bit more detail if you want it.

-Vinny