[geeklog-devel] Geeklog Professional CSS theme

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Sun Jan 23 10:25:52 EST 2011

Hey All,

Soon I will be adding a new theme to the repository that will hopefully
replace our current default theme for version 1.8.0 after some work/tweaks
has been done on it. It will be in a directory called professional_css. The
themes authors are Fumito Arakawa & Ivy (from Geeklog.jp) and is available
for download on Geeklog.net (look for ProfessionalCSS_en). To start, I would
like to thank them for all of the work they have put into the theme.

Besides eliminating table tags this theme does a number of things
differently. So if you are interested, I would suggest at least downloading
the theme and take a look at the readme file for more information. If people
disagree on how certain things are done in the theme I would like to hear
about it now before more work gets put into this.

Before I add the theme to the repository, I will be updating the theme to
support the new template changes we have currently in 1.8.0 along with
adding the new images Rouslan did for us. Once the new theme gets added into
the repository if anyone does any theme changes, like adding new template
variables or theme files, please make sure to also add them to the new
theme.

I do not expect this new theme to look exactly the same as our current
default theme. It will look similar but if some things are changed around
for the better, then I am all for it. The one thing I do not plan on
changing is the color scheme. Rouslan has already put a lot of work into the
new logo and icons for the site. We can save the major theme design changes
and page designs like this for when we start the new site redesign at a
later date.

Once I have the new theme in the repository, people are more than welcome to
help out. Let's just communicate through email or on the mailing list just
to makes sure we know what we are all working on.

The first thing I will be doing is working on the general layout which
actually brings me to my first question.

The new theme is currently has a fixed width of 960 pixels. I would actually
like to keep the width fixed as I think it looks much better on the larger
monitors most people use these days. It also makes designing new pages
easier.

To help in the decision I took a look at Google Analytics for a site that
gets a large number of North American visitors. Here are the top ten screen
resolutions:

1. 1280x800  	19.60%
2. 1024x768  	15.41%
3. 1366x768  	11.45%
4. 1440x900  	7.73%
5. 1280x1024  	5.77%
6. 320x480  	5.16%
7. 1680x1050	4.35%
8. 1920x1080	3.10%
9. 1600x900	2.56%
10. 1920x1200	2.03%

For those of you who are interested, here is some info on what browsers are
being used:

1. Internet Explorer		 40.01%
2. Firefox			26.77%
3. Safari			17.87%
4. Chrome			11.69%
5. Opera			1.06%
6. Mozilla Compatible Agent	0.79%
7. Opera Mini			0.76%
8. BlackBerry8530		0.15%
9. BlackBerry9700		0.13%
10. Mozilla			0.11%

And since Java Support is an issue for some of the Admin configuration:

1. Yes  	78.75%
2. No	21.25%

Thanks