[geeklog-devel] MySQLi

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Mon Jun 13 15:20:30 EDT 2011

I have been playing around with patch #1303, which adds MySQLi support[1]. To be honest, I don't see any change in performance one way or another, at least not with the kinds of requests I was testing it with.

Having said that: MySQLi is the recommended API for MySQL 4.1 and later. Plus things can only get better once we understand it a bit better.

Since MySQLi is an extension, it might not be present (although that's unlikely). So we have to check every time which of the two APIs we've got to use. To make this a little easier, I would like to suggest that we raise the minimum required MySQL version to 4.1.3 (from 4.0.18). Then we can simply check for existence of the MySQLi class and use that if present or fall back to the old API otherwise.

To put things into perspective: Support for MySQL 4.1 ended 1.5 years ago (2009-12-31) - and we would only make it the mimimum requirement now. Even RHEL 4 - one of the Linux distros for which we keep PHP 4 support around in the 1.7.x branch - shipped with MySQL 4.1.

Any objections or concerns?

bye, Dirk

[1] http://project.geeklog.net/tracking/view.php?id=1303