[geeklog-devel] Our application for GSoC 2011

dilantha silva dilantha.tyrant at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 00:57:56 EST 2011

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 7:39 PM, Dirk Haun <dirk at haun-online.de> wrote:

> Tom wrote:
>
> > Well let's not drop the SPAMX one until we have flushed out some other
> > ideas. :-)
>
> Okay, I rewrote the Spam-X project proposal again for the third year in a
> row.
>
> There's a bunch of thoughts regarding the install script on the
> "brainstorming" page, but they don't make for a coherent project (and most
> of them are small changes). Any further ideas to maybe make a project out of
> those?
>
> Regarding the DB abstraction layer: Ignoring the question about which one
> to pick, the most obvious consequence is that we would have to maintain two
> layers then: the new one and the old one. Obviously, all those legacy
> plugins with no current maintainer should continue working. Are these DB
> abstractions layers even supporting this parallel mode? What if they're
> caching something that is then changed behind their back by some legacy code
> that uses the old API?
>
> Yes. I think this is possible. I have done this before using doctrine ORM
for some other purposes.For example you can use existing DSN to create PDO
connection and new modules will use that PDO connection to access the DB
while older plugins will continue working with out any problem.

If anyone thinks these sorts of problems can be solved, then please go ahead
> and write up a project description.
>
> bye, Dirk

Regards,

Dilantha Silva,