[geeklog-devel] Updating the changelog

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Wed Mar 16 15:48:39 EDT 2011

The changelog (aka history) in our Mercurial repository is not up to date. Exactly how to best keep it up to date is actually something that I've been wondering about for a while.

I used to update the changelog in the same commit, i.e. together with the code that fixed a bug or implemented a feature. However, that makes it more complicated to reuse that changeset on another branch, since in that other branch, the update for the changelog will usually fail.

So what else could one do? You could do a second commit, just for the changelog update. Other than some minor additional "noise" and extra work, I don't see anything wrong with that.

Or we could only update the changelog from time to time and/or near a release. That requires keeping track somewhere else, e.g. in the bugtracker, which already provides a changelog:

http://project.geeklog.net/tracking/changelog_page.php?version_id=28

Of course that also requires that everone sets the "fixed in" field properly when resolving an issue, but that seems to be working just fine already. So we only need to be careful not to forget entries when copying them over to the "real" changelog.

Other thoughts? Or am I making a simple thing too complicated (again)?