[geeklog-devel] Geeklog Topics and Blocks

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Wed Sep 14 14:52:03 EDT 2011

Opps . my mistake.

From: geeklog-devel-bounces at lists.geeklog.net
[mailto:geeklog-devel-bounces at lists.geeklog.net] On Behalf Of Vincent Furia
Sent: September-14-11 1:17 PM
To: Geeklog Development
Subject: Re: [geeklog-devel] Geeklog Topics and Blocks

Tom,

I think you misunderstood, what I meant was:

CREATE TABLE `gl_topic_assignments` (

  `tid` varchar(20) NOT NULL,

  `type` varchar(30) NOT NULL,

  `id` varchar(40) NOT NULL,

  PRIMARY KEY  (`tid`,`type`,`id`)

) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

CREATE TABLE {$_TABLES['topics']} (
   tid varchar(20) NOT NULL default '',
   topic varchar(48) default NULL,
   imageurl varchar(255) default NULL,
   meta_description TEXT NULL,
   meta_keywords TEXT NULL,
   sortnum smallint(3) default NULL,
   limitnews tinyint(3) default NULL,

   featured varchar(40) default NULL,
   is_default tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
   archive_flag tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL DEFAULT '0',
   owner_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '1',
   group_id mediumint(8) unsigned NOT NULL default '1',
   perm_owner tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL default '3',
   perm_group tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL default '3',
   perm_members tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL default '2',
   perm_anon tinyint(1) unsigned NOT NULL default '2',
   PRIMARY KEY (tid)
) ENGINE=MyISAM

We only allow one featured article per topic, so why not keep it in the
topic? We have to grab data from the topic table anyway when displaying the
topic page. The homepage can be a special case (of which there are any
number of ways to handle).

-Vinny

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 09:43, Tom <websitemaster at cogeco.net> wrote:

>> Or add a column to the topic table, at least for featured stories . You
could also have special values for tid to represent all topics or homepage
only

That was what I was originally going to do. Have a featured column used by
articles and the column tid would contain either the topic id or "all" or
"homeonly" (currently how blocks work). When a user creates a topic I will
just have to add a few topic ids that are not allowed.

CREATE TABLE `gl_topic_assignments` (

  `tid` varchar(20) NOT NULL,

  `type` varchar(30) NOT NULL,

  `id` varchar(40) NOT NULL,

  `featured`  tinyint(1) NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,

  PRIMARY KEY  (`tid`,`type`,`id`)

) ENGINE=InnoDB DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8;

Tom