[geeklog-devel] Breadcrumbs

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Mon Apr 23 10:08:57 EDT 2012

As you probably already know Geeklog 2.0.0 supports breadcrumbs. There are 2
things I just wanted to review...

1) This is more for theme developers. Geeklog's breadcrumbs are setup to
support Google's Rich Snippets which allows Google to easily determine the
structure of the website and include it in the search results. Messing with
the Breadcrumb template files too much may cause Google not to be able to
recognize the structure. If you update the breadcrumb template files I would
suggest testing the Geeklog page with the breadcrumbs on it with Google's
Rich Snippets testing tool:

http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets

2) Since articles and other objects can belong to more than one topic, when
that article is viewed all breadcrumb trails for that  article are returned
and display. This happens independent of the topic the article is currently
being displayed in. This functionality is supported by Google.

See this page for more details and an example:
http://project.geeklog.net/tracking/view.php?id=1441

What I was wondering is should there be a config option that disables
displaying more than one breadcrumb trail at a time (ie the object would
only display the breadcrumb trail of the topic it currently is in and not
all of the others it may belong too).