[geeklog-devel] PHING

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Sun Dec 30 12:55:35 EST 2012

Does anyone have any experience with PHING? http://www.phing.info/

PHING is very much like Ant, only written in PHP. So it lets you define tasks that you need to perform on a regular (or not-so-regular) basis.

We had a presentation[1] about it at our local PHP user group recently and it made me wonder if we shouldn't use it to automate our tasks like running the unit tests, packing up the nightly tarball, or preparing the release packages. All of these tasks are already automated in our Jenkins, but implemented with some of my infamous Bash scripts, which aren't exactly easy to understand and maintain.

I've only played around with PHING but managed to whip up a short and readable package job. I guess what I'm looking for right now are best practices and experiences - dos and don'ts and the like. Anyone?

bye, Dirk

[1] pretty much this one: http://opensource.teqneers.de/phing.html

--
http://www.themobilepresenter.com/