[geeklog-devel] Topics and Breadcrumbs

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Mon Jan 9 09:34:57 EST 2012

Hi All,

Since we have child topics now I figure we should add in breadcrumb support
for the topics to help the user know where they are.

http://project.geeklog.net/tracking/view.php?id=1062

I plan on adding rich snippets to the breadcrumbs to help the search engine
better understand the topic structure. (which they then usually display in
search results)

http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=185417

I plan on using the rich snippet Microdata markup since that is the standard
that all 3 major search engines support (Google, Yahoo, Bing). More about
this standard can be found here:

http://www.schema.org/

Topics will have a breadcrumb trail along with articles and staticpages.
Since articles and staticpages can belong to more than one topic they could
have multiple breadcrumb trails.

If anyone has any questions or comments let me know.