[geeklog-devel] Geeklog 1.9.0 update

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Sun Mar 4 08:50:43 EST 2012

>> So we really need to get the plugin authors on board for this one.

I posted this a couple of weeks ago in the mailing list about my thoughts on
this:

Geeklog has changed the way it handles topics and how they are assigned to
stories and blocks in 1.9.0. For most plugins this should not affect them.
While Geeklog 1.9.0 will not be released for a couple of months I wanted to
give the developers a heads up on what has changed.  When the RC is released
I will also be posting this information on Geeklog.net

For plugins that create blocks or manipulate blocks within the blocks table
there could be problems. If your plugin supports center blocks there could
also be problems.  Upgrading a Geeklog site to 1.9.0 with plugins that are
currently installed that do this could cause the site not to function. These
plugins should be disabled before upgrading Geeklog.  I also wonder if we
should include a version of Suprsidr's Geeklog Emergency Rescue Tool along
with this release in case a webmaster has problems. (with Suprsidr
permission of course)

http://www.geeklog.net/article.php/20100222022417548

Anyways, I am currently modifying the Geeklog Fourm to support Geeklog
1.9.0. Here is what I have found:

Since topic assignments for blocks are now stored in the topic assignment
table installing Geeklog 1.9.0 will break the forum (the forum attempts to
use the topic column in the blocks table which does not exist anymore). The
forum has 2 blocks. The forum menu which gets enabled and disabled and the
latest forum posts block. After looking at the code the best/easiest way to
fix this issue while still supporting Geeklog 1.6.0+ is to make these blocks
dynamic. See: http://wiki.geeklog.net/index.php/Dynamic_Blocks.

The forum also has an issue with the center block. It attempts to check the
stories table to see if it is featured for the current topic so it knows
where to place the forum center block (above or below the story). This
causes a sql error since story topic assignments are now stored in the topic
assignment table. I may create a new Geeklog plugin function call for this
so plugins can get a true or false answer instead of having the plugin
itself querying these tables.

Let me know if you have any questions.