[geeklog-devel] Odd upgrade error

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Wed Mar 7 04:10:39 EST 2012

Quoting Vincent Furia <vfuria at gmail.com>:

> 1412 appears to have been fixed by Dirk's change set "ff0b1ba07d05" or
> "Workaround to avoid 'argument is not an array' error if something happens
> to go wrong during the install and we want to log it to error.log (based on
> a report by Toshiaf)".

... which was made in reaction to a forum post. Error handling (or
even logging) during the install is tricky, since it may happen in
places when Geeklog is not fully operational yet. This also makes
debugging the install and upgrade a bit of a pain sometimes. Maybe we
should start thinking about logging/debugging facilities in the
install script itself, so they don't fall into the trap of surprising
dependencies (like collecting autotags from plugins when calling
COM_errorLog, as happened in this case).

> The only addition I might suggest is to create an empty "sitemap.xml.dist"
> in public_html and create an empty "sitemap.xml" when building the
> distribution. I'm hesitant to do this myself as I don't understand our
> build generation stuff.

Minor issue with this: Deploying 0-byte files has caused problems in
the past, and it looks like the minimum valid sitemap.xml actually
requires an URL in it. But I guess we could get away with it pointing
to example.com, since we're overwriting it later in the install process.

Such a default sitemap.xml should then also be added to the list of
files that have to be made writable.