[geeklog-devel] Open Source Translation Database

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Wed Mar 14 16:21:05 EDT 2012

Rouslan Placella wrote:

> Well, that seems to require the project to use gettext. But if we
> convert Geeklog to gettext (which we probably should at some point
> anyway since PHP arrays are quite outdated for translating)

Even though I'm coming from a C background, I've never really looked into gettext. Incidentally, my local PHP user group had a talk about localization tonight, and gettext was also mentioned. It just confirmed what I already suspected: That gettext is the de-facto standard for translations in PHP.

So I'm wondering if maybe there's a GSoC project in there somewhere, i.e. switching Geeklog to gettext. We would have access to an established toolchain for translations then, instead of the crude scripts we now have.

http://www.themobilepresenter.com/