[geeklog-devel] Open Source Translation Database

Rouslan Placella rouslan at placella.com
Wed Mar 14 16:37:53 EDT 2012

On 14/03/12 20:28, Vincent Furia wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 14:21, Dirk Haun <dirk at haun-online.de> wrote:
>
>> So I'm wondering if maybe there's a GSoC project in there somewhere, i.e.
>> switching Geeklog to gettext. We would have access to an established
>> toolchain for translations then, instead of the crude scripts we now have.

I'd say that it's feasible as a GSoC project, but it's quite a big ask.
BTW, all the plugins will definitely break, too.

> Before we jump into that boat we should check how common gettext support is
> in shared hosting environments. It does not compile into PHP by default (a
> flag is needed <http://www.php.net/manual/en/gettext.installation.php>,
> though I'm sure most distributions include it be default).

Gettext support that is compiled into PHP is not that great anyway. At
phpMyAdmin we use php-gettext[0] which is just a PHP library that you
include with your application. There are good reasons[1] for this.

Rouslan

[0]: https://launchpad.net/php-gettext/
[1]:
http://wiki.phpmyadmin.net/pma/Gettext_for_developers#Why_not_to_use_native_Gettext_in_PHP