[geeklog-devel] Dynamic Blocks on Blocks Admin Page

Joe Mucchiello jmucchiello at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 18 20:55:28 EDT 2012

> Not for the next (2.0) release, but I think it would make a good feature
> request to upgrade the Admin List function to merge the database blocks
> with dynamic blocks. It shouldn't be too hard to do, though again
> targeting
> the next release.

Wouldn't it make more sense to merge the dynamic blocks with the database? In other words, dynamic blocks need some kind of entry in the database or they don't exist. It's probably not much of code change for the few plugins that use dynamic blocks and simplifies the code in the admin screen. Arguably, dynamic blocks are not needed. They were created for the forum plugin because Blaine wanted the forum menu to always be at the top of the block list. There's no good reason why the forum menu plugin isn't a PHP block that checks to see if the page is a forum page before outputing the menu.