[geeklog-devel] GSoC 2012

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Fri Mar 23 16:22:29 EDT 2012

Note sure how readable this is … Here's the feedback we got (on IRC) regarding why Geeklog didn't make it into GSoC 2012:

--- snip ---
kblin > !nextinline
gsocbot > kblin: Next in line is dhaun with notice 'geeklog http://wiki.geeklog.net/index.php/Google_Summer_of_Code'
carols > hi geeklog folks
geeklog|dhaun > Hi Carol
carols > so i like the ideas page overall. i think a couple more ideas would have been nice, so something to keep in mind for next year.
carols > but mostly this was another space issue.
geeklog|dhaun > okay
carols > you were in it until the final round when we had to start "cutting to bone"
geeklog|dhaun > we weren't planning to have more than maybe 4 slots anyway - you still think we should have more ideas?
geeklog|dhaun > that's good to hear, thanks
carols > a couple, yeah. but that really wasn't what determined it for us this year. it was really about the space.
carols > yeah, i'm quite happy with the rest of the application.
geeklog|dhaun > okay. I've only just realized that we only had medium and high difficulty ideas this year, so maybe we should have added an easy one as well?
carols > yes, that certainly would have been helpful.
carols > we just had so many orgs that have been great with us in the pas that we had to reject this year.
carols > please do apply again next year.
geeklog|dhaun > okay, that's what I was "hoping" to hear, if that's the right word ...
carols > understood
geeklog|dhaun > sounds like we didn't do too bad and will certainly try again next year
carols > thank you for your past participation.
carols > yes, indeed.
geeklog|dhaun > and thanks for having us and for doing this feedback session
carols > of course.
carols > have a great summer
--- snip ---

After sitting patiently in the waiting queue for 2.5 hours, I pretty much knew what was coming. There were 41 new orgs this year and to make room for those, something had to give.

I peeked at some of the idea lists of other orgs (both good and bad) and it looks like ours is just fine. There's always room for improvement, of course (see above), but it sounds like we were on the right track.

So, let's look ahead. And if you have an idea that's potentially GSoC-worthy, don't forget to write it down so we have some more for next year.

bye, Dirk

P.S. The IRC feedback session is still going on while I write this. Mega-kudos to Carol for sitting through this for over 4 hours now. The full IRC log will be available from http://ibot.rikers.org/%23gsoc/20120323.html.gz tomorrow.

P.P.S. Here's something we should pick up: "but i *am* really glad that expected results are listed out." (says Carol regarding an orgs ideas page)

--
http://www.themobilepresenter.com/