[geeklog-devel] Drupal goes from Aloha to CKEditor

Dirk Haun dirk at haun-online.de
Thu Jan 3 02:21:44 EST 2013

I found this interesting: Apparently Drupal had originally planned to use Aloha as their WYSIWYG editor but have now made a decision to use CKEditor instead:

http://buytaert.net/from-aloha-to-ckeditor

I've mentioned Aloha[1] before. There's two things I like about it: The in-place editing and the ties with the IKS community.

In-place editing is something that I often wish we had when I find a typo in a post and then have to make the round-trip through the story editor just to fix it. Sounds like CKEditor is now offering something similar.

The IKS stuff would offer us a way to get a bit of the semantic web into Geeklog. I don't see anything about this in the above announcement.

Technically, CKEditor is the easier option for us since we already have an integration with its predecessor, FCKEditor. Aloha and in-place editing may require some radical changes here and there (I did actually whip up an Aloha "integration" of sorts back at that IKS workshop[2] in Amsterdam, but it couldn't save changes - it was more of a proof of concept, and a weak one at that).

Anyway, it should be interesting to see how things work out for Drupal and what (if any) conclusions we can draw from this for Geeklog.

bye, Dirk

[1] http://aloha-editor.org/
[2] http://www.geeklog.net/article.php/iks-workshop-amsterdam

--