[geeklog-devel] New Feature Ideas for Topics

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Sun Jun 2 12:09:55 EDT 2013

I have 3 topic related feature ideas here...

http://project.geeklog.net/tracking/view.php?id=1614

The goal behind these features is to improve the visibility of related
content. For example, if I have a staticpage about a topic like Soccer. It
would be nice to be able to display a list of newer related items to my
Soccer page from stories, polls, and other pages.

Another example would be with my "sports website" and I am reading a story
from the general news about Soccer, it would be nice to list the other
topics the story belongs to under the content (different from breadcrumbs)
sort of like tags. This way the user can click on the Soccer topic directly
here if he is interest further in this more specific topic.

Here are the new feature requests:

1)The hidden topic attribute hides the topic in the Topics Block.  This was
designed to prevent a long list of topics being displayed if the user had
many topics. I think we should display the hidden topics in the Topic block
only if the user is currently accessing the topic that has hidden sub topics
(as long as they have appropriate permissions). We may also want to consider
marking topics in the Topic Block with a + or something similar if they do
indeed contain sub topics that are hidden and can become visible if the user
clicks on that topic.

2) Include a list of Topics (separated by spaces or commas) an article
directly belongs too when you view a story. This can be listed under the
story content sort of like a list of tags. When you click on the topic you
are then taken to the first page of the topic.

This feature also should be an autotag that allows you to specify the total
number of topics to display along with the object type (story, staticpage,
etc...) since other objects besides stories can belong to the topic. Some
new plugin api is required here.

3) Have an Autotag that create a point list of the last x number of new
stories, staticpages, polls, etc. of a topic. Configurable options would
include:

- Number of items in the list
- What type of items to include: All, Stories, Staticpage, etc

Some new plugin api is required here for this as well.

This isn't something that I can work on right away (thinking after the
summer) but if anyone wants to comment on it and has other ideas let me
know.