[geeklog-devel] Structured Data for Search Engines

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Tue Jun 4 09:52:51 EDT 2013

"If Google understands your website's content in a structured way, we can
present that content more accurately and more attractively to Google users."

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.ca/2013/05/getting-started-with-struc
tured-data.html

https://www.google.com/webmasters/markup-helper/

Google has released some new structured data tools which makes it easier to
incorporate into websites (and themes). This is supported by all of the
major search engines.

The main one I am thinking of is for articles. This can be done for an
article on a single page as well as a list of articles in a topic. (Google's
new Tool can help with this)

http://schema.org/Article

There is also a schema for Comments (important as well IMO) and Events
(Calendar Plugin).

As the internet moves forward I expect these types of signals will become
more important for search engines.

We may want to consider adding these type of markups to our themes sooner
rather than later.

Thoughts?