[geeklog-devel] Geeklog HTTPS

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Sun Aug 10 13:21:58 EDT 2014

Hey Dirk (and anyone else interested in the topic),

I see that Google now uses HTTPS as a slight ranking factor.

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.ca/2014/08/https-as-ranking-signal.html

After a quick search of the mailing list I missed finding your points about converting Geeklog.net over and adding HTTPS support itself to Geeklog.

I don't particularly want to convert my sites over entirely to HTTPS as it has the potential to mess up back links (even with 301 redirects) and I would have to start over again with Tweet counts and Facebook likes.

Looking at the other Popular CMS actual home sites
- Joomla doesn't appear to use SSL
- Wordpress uses SSL on login page
- Drupal uses SSL on entire site

I guess the way I see it working is have a config option for SSL support for Geeklog (if the admin doesn't want to it do for the entire site like Geeklog.net). Anonymous users would be just HTTP until they visited the login page (obviously the login block would have to be disabled or at least not show the user name and password field). Once the user is logged in then I guess they would surf the entire site in https (or would we just use HTTPS for the user preferences, admin pages,  search and any other sensitive pages?).

Do you think it is worth added support to Geeklog for SSL this way? I think you mentioned a few functions before but what do you remember that needs changing in Geeklog if the ssl config option is enabled (besides anything linking to the user login page).

Thanks