[geeklog-devel] Geeklog 2.1.0 beta1 and blocks

Tom websitemaster at cogeco.net
Thu Jun 5 20:14:29 EDT 2014

The What's New Block and the Topics Block do not rely on
$_CONF['cache_templates'].

$_CONF['cache_templates'] is specifically to enable caching of the templates
of the theme.

The What's New Block and Topics block always uses the cache file if the
files exist.  It is much quicker to do this (especially on large sites) than
to calculate how many articles are in each topic for every page load (or
what is a new item). If the cache files  are not then they are generated and
displayed.

For example the cache files for the topic block get deleted whenever a new
topic is added or a story gets added or deleted from the system.

For other blocks (and articles) you can enable caching by changing the Cache
Time Attribute. These are also not affected by the config value
$_CONF['cache_templates']..

Tom