[geeklog-devel] geeklog-devel Digest, Vol 117, Issue 3

Michael Brusletten ironmax at spacequad.com
Sun Jul 31 14:25:25 EDT 2016

That would be great.  To have a look at the converter to DokuWiki style.
There is already a Geeklog DokuWiki plugin, however it does not install on
the latest version of geeklog 2.1.1.  As soon as this is fixed, then the
wiki's can be housed directly on Geeklog's website and server, because they
do not need a database, they are flat files.  The way I am approaching this
project is that each section has their very own directory/folder.  IE:

Index starting page
/doku.php?id=geeklog:start
/doku.php?id=geeklog:introduction:start
/doku.php?id=geeklog:introduction:what_is_geeklog
etc, etc.

Bundled Plugins
/doku.php?id=geeklog:administration:configuration:plugins:start
/doku.php?id=geeklog:administration:configuration:plugins:calendar
etc, etc.

3rd Party Plugins
/doku.php?id=geeklog:administration:configuration:plugins:unofficial_plugins:start
/doku.php?id=geeklog:administration:configuration:plugins:unofficial_plugins:analytics
etc, etc.

See a pattern here? The structure is one of the things that was lacking, not
to also mention...out of date docs.  I could not follow a path on the old
system,  This is why I started the revamp of the wiki's and knowing and
versatile in DokuWiki, is why I went with DokuWiki, and plus for Geekog,
they already had a plugin, even though it needs updating.

Currently, the wiki's that I have been re-writing are only available from my
local computer and have no outside access.  I will see if I can put a copy
on the server, so a few can make adjustments if you want.  This way, the
core devs can add or make changes as needed while this gets developed and
resolved for the upgraded plugin and space made available on geeklog.net.

I will make a url available of http://dokuwiki.spacequad.com until things
are upgraded.  Then it’s a simple upload of the .txt and images file folders
to their new home.

As for my time table, I seem to have plenty of it, in between client sites.
No...but seriously, after becoming disabled, from 15 or so heart attacks
since early 2000, and 2 strokes, it’s a wonder I'm still here.
I'm taking the conversion and updates slow, to make sure everything is
updated as best as I can make it with available resources and information I
can find.  Also I test these areas out for opperability in "Do the plugins
install and function as intended?"  "Do they auto-install?"  "Is there
documentation from the author?"  "Does the docs make sense and in English?"
These are all time consuming parts of what I am up against.

The reason I am doing this is because I've been slowly seeing a decline in
Geeklog's usage over the years and had noticed ONE HUGE reason,
documentation and how its laid out.  The other is because of participation
in proper testing.

I really do not want to see this get any worse, which was why I begged Tom
(laugh) @eSilverStrike to finally setup Gitter and create the Geeklog-core
chat group on Github in hopes to bring everyone back together.

Any questions?  Let me know on Gitter @spacequad

Michael

------------------------------
Hi Dan,

Michael from Spacesquad  started migrating the wiki a few weeks ago. He is
updating the format along with the information as he goes. He is using
DokuWiki along with a plugin that embeds the wiki into Geeklog.

I have used the github wiki a little bit before and agree with your
assessment. If we were not embedding the wiki into Geeklog.net then with
DokuWIki the GitHub wiki might be worth looking at if others agree (I assume
GitHub plans on updating the thing).

Did you want to update the current wiki to the latest version? I am not sure
how much time Michael has to put into the project so am unsure when he will
complete it.  I also still need to update the DokuWiki plugin to the latest
version which will not happen till  the beginning of September.

Tom