[geeklog-users] Curious plugin woes

Jason Godesky jason at tribaldawn.com
Sun Dec 14 13:54:59 EST 2003

NOTE: The following was originally posted
[http://www.langfamily.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=2&showtopic=1612]  on
the Langfamily Portal [http://www.langfamily.ca/] forums

I've been struggling with several of Blaine's (and other) plugins for
several days, and I'm not entirely sure what's going on here. I'm running
Geeklog 1.3.8 security release 3, with PHP 4.3.2 and MySQL 4.0.15. Most of
the time when I get to createtopic.php in the forum, clicking "submit" or
"preview" gives me a "connection close by remote server" error--but not
always! Moreover, it only happens when I'm logged in, never when I'm
anonymous. And it appears to be tied to which theme I'm using (even though
I made both themes, and they differ pretty much only in the graphics they
use). In fact, on further testing, it seemed to be the actual act of
changing my theme that would finally allow me to post.

With the File Manager, I've been having the same problem RPotter reported
[http://www.langfamily.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=8&showtopic=1546], but
having gone over the installation several times already, I still cannot
find the problem. The installation reported success, and all the public
areas showed up perfectly, but the admin page just wasn't there.

I've been having similar problems with other plugins--the lists plugin for
mailing lists overloaded the MySQL client's memory, for instance. I'm
beginning to suspect there's a common cause to all my Geeklog plugin woes,
but I haven't the foggiest notion what it might be. Blaine, or anyone
else, can anyone here help me?

--
Jason Godesky
jason at tribaldawn.com