[geeklog-users] What I like/don't like about geeklog

Daniel Kopp geeklog at daniu.de
Sat Dec 27 11:30:21 EST 2003

Hi!

When I "chose" to use geeklog it was less a real choice as much more the
amazement about the existence of Content-Management-Systems in general.
Geeklog just happened to be the first I found.
Now - after some month I started to think about changing - basically
because:
-the mailing list is very dead - where do you guys exchange thoughts?
-the designers (program design) of geeklog only seem to be happy when they
can separate the whole thing in as many files as possible. That results in
very high webspace consumption (maybe I am wrong about this - but windows
says: size: small value; used space: very high value ... Is that different
on Linux?). I don't have unlimited space ... *
-I tried to find out how to write a plug-in for geeklog and gave up. I tried
to find out to write one for phpnuke and was really about to change ... In
geeklog you need to spend so much more time - it's unbelievable. In phpnuke
you have your "hello world" plug-in in 5 mins. Also the way a plug-in has to
be installed is somehow complicated. (put this here and that there and then
write this here and ...)
-the layouts are split in so many files which can all be configured
separately but I think in 99% of all cases are not touched at all and so
just waste space. (I changed my geeklog so that lots of folders are used
together) I know the forum is note really geeklog itself but that's worst.
Why was it not set up in the way (like I use it now) that there is only 1
set of layout which every site-layout uses?
For geeklog in general: why not make a standard layout which can be
overloaded by custom layouts. So every new layout only needs to add the
stuff which is non-standard.
-gmail is not finished yet ...
-I miss Multilanguage - though I would not be content with the way others do
it: I should be able to say which languages I know and which one I prefer.
Writing articles should be possible in Multilanguage so that the user gets
preferred language (if it exists) and understandable articles (not just 1
language). Others give you only your set language.
-BTW: how come geeklog does not check the browser language? (I know of the
issue with the Chinese "English" [英文] button which is not understood by
most English speakers - but that could be solved ...)
--> change your preferred language to Chinese and check www.msn.com :-) it's
worse than 英文 。。。

The things that brought me back to geeklog:
-when _I_ start phpnuke it works but only with lots of warnings. So I need
to add a "error_reporting(E_ERROR);" manually but people should not like
that ...
-security of geeklog is obviously the best of all CMSes
-the groups-implementation of geeklog is just outstanding
-the layouts for geeklog are somehow more different from each other than in
other CMSes
-gmail will hopefully soon fill the gap as webmailer in geeklog
-the phpnuke way of publishing things 1 month earlier for registered
(paying) users is not nice ... (just too much hassle to look for this
Italian page which is stupid enough to offer it earlier :-))
-is it really so special to post pictures in news? Or did I just fail to do
it in other CMSes?
-is it true that I may change the footer in geeklog (not like in other
CMSes) so that people need to ask which CMS it is (I think people who are
interested will ask - others don't care)?

So - finally I guess I will stick to geeklog

Regards
Daniel

* after some hacking I managed to have geeklog on win with
forum/chatterblock, 7 layouts, 5 languages with around 8,5 MB which is
acceptable ...