[geeklog-users] register_globals issues

eyemovie at mac.com eyemovie at mac.com
Fri Feb 7 11:56:59 EST 2003

Esteemed Geekloggers:

Thanks for your assistance with the previous most basic download/upload
issues with putty ... no problem.  You're great!

Now ... remembering I'm at a government facility with permission to
have a website provided I don't ask for help!

I've gotten the website up, had to use 777 for the permissions,
register_globals remains off and I am able to change the info for the
admin and moderator ... but not submit, edit, or delete stories or
users.

Our IT department says that turning register_globals on is a security
risk as clearly documented in the php.ini file, which I have read.  My
questions are:

1.  Will turning register_globals on allow me to add/modify/delete
stories/users?
2.  Is there an alternative to changing the php.ini file?  I have
seen/heard of information about changing the virtual hosts section and
turning on php.ini for only the virtual host.  I've also heard/seen
about turning on register_globals in .htaccess ... which I have done,
but obviously isn't having the affect wanted ... is there an
alternative way?
3.  Lastly, if there is no alternative way ... I dare not ask the
question ... but is there an alternative portal/weblogger you wold
recommend with calendar and all the other good things of geeklog and
the ability to post articles, etc. you could recommend ... for this you
can reply privately to me at rdgATaol.com and place "geeklog" in the
subject so I won't delete it automatically as spam.

Thanks in advance for your help with this newbie.

; )