[geeklog-users] Theming Possibilities

Kyle Rove krove at pyramid.net
Sun Feb 16 12:32:06 EST 2003

I just finished a custom theme for a distributed computing team web
site. The design rather straight forward with right and left blocks and
stories in the center. The blocks, however, have a unique background
that only fits the width of the left and right columns. As all
administrative pages, user preferences pages, submit pages, etc all use
the same blockheader.thtml and blockfooter.thtml, I was really in a
bind as to what to do.

Well, I decided to hack the function calls that built those inner table
blocks to use a different set of block templates. What surprised me was
that there was no preference setup in any of those calls. For maximum
theming capability, wouldn't it be easier to actually call a template
in those (<50) calls? Even if for now, they called copies of the
blockheader and footer.thtml files (with different names, of course),
it would allow theme makers to diversify.

Just a thought,
Kyle

p.s. Check out the team test site:
http://teamtest.the-depths-of-hell.com/geeklog/public_html/

Compare R/L blocks to story blocks, then try and notice that GL's
original setup would only allow me to have the same block template for
both the main search block and the left blocks (which would have been
very ugly). I modified the call to create the search block to include a
different template:
http://teamtest.the-depths-of-hell.com/geeklog/public_html/search.php