[geeklog-users] Setting up individual control over topics

stephen white steve at cs.adelaide.edu.au
Thu Feb 20 01:03:31 EST 2003

I'm setting up Geeklog for use within a University department. I would
like to create multiple sections, one for each subject, then give the
lecturers control over their own sections.

Let's say I have "CompSci 101", "CompSci 102", "CompSci 103" as
sections... The first problem I noticed was that the Administrator
cannot assign ownership of topics... I have to give the lecturer Topic
Admin privs, create the board, then remove the Topic Admin priv in
order to set the ownership.

The next problem I noticed was that when reviewing story submissions,
lecturers can see queued stories for other sections, regardless of
whether they can see those sections in the topic list or not. They
can't post a story directly to the topic even if they have write access.

If I give them story.submit access, then they can directly submit
stories to any section whereas the effect I wanted was to have
submission queue for any section they don't own.

Since there's nothing else that comes close (after 3 months of
downloading and trying out various weblog/cms programs), I'm still
intending to go ahead with Geeklog. I'll just have to give the
lecturers more access than I wanted, and tell them to be careful.

It appears that Geeklog isn't really set up for topic level control of
users... I suspect the security model is still a work in progress? If
so, perhaps I can be of help here?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

   steve at cs.adelaide.edu.au