[geeklog-users] Suggested changes to lib-common.php/COM_isemail()

geeklog-users-admin at lists.geeklog.net geeklog-users-admin at lists.geeklog.net
Thu Sep 4 13:26:11 EDT 2003

Bob wrote:

>It looks like Mail_RFC822::isValidInetAddress has the same problem with
>not recognizing '+' as valid

Have you thought about reporting that as a bug and/or contributing a
better version? Testing for valid email addresses is a pretty standard
task in a web-based application. I had actually hoped that the RFC822
class would comply with RFC(2)822, so that we don't have to reinvent the
wheel ...

>though I agree, using PEAR::Mail is a
>better solution, if only so you have less code to maintain. Reduce,
>reuse, recycle.

(see above) So much for reuse :-/

>If you want, I'll send you my code for
>testing various address schemes.

Since it seems we can't use Mail_RCF822, I'll probably go with the regexp
you already posted. We're not doing anything fancy with email addresses
in Geeklog - it only needs to check if whatever the user entered could be
considered an email address ...

Btw, the CVS version of Geeklog now uses PEAR::Mail. See the post over on
geeklog-devtalk:

<http://lists.geeklog.net/pipermail/geeklog-devtalk/2003-September/
000285.html>

http://geeklog.info/