[geeklog-users] geeklog performance

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Thu Dec 30 19:23:44 EST 2004

Tony Bibbs wrote:
> Most of the load is, undoubtedly, on the database.  Do you have MySQL's
> query cache feature enabled and optimally configured?  I'd start there.

Tony,

I'm already using turck-mmcache but not cached queries.

I turned on cached queries and didn't see any noticeable speed up. I use
the following settings in my.cnf:

query_cache_type=1
query_cache_size=20M

It's definitely turned on:

mysql> show variables like '%query_cache%';
+------------------------------+----------+
| Variable_name                | Value    |
+------------------------------+----------+
| have_query_cache             | YES      |
| query_cache_limit            | 1048576  |
| query_cache_min_res_unit     | 4096     |
| query_cache_size             | 20971520 |
| query_cache_type             | ON       |
| query_cache_wlock_invalidate | OFF      |
+------------------------------+----------+
6 rows in set (0.00 sec)

If I load my home page a few times I see the following cache status:

mysql> show status like 'Qcache%';
+-------------------------+----------+
| Variable_name           | Value    |
+-------------------------+----------+
| Qcache_free_blocks      | 2        |
| Qcache_free_memory      | 20802176 |
| Qcache_hits             | 495      |
| Qcache_inserts          | 163      |
| Qcache_lowmem_prunes    | 0        |
| Qcache_not_cached       | 44       |
| Qcache_queries_in_cache | 122      |
| Qcache_total_blocks     | 289      |
8 rows in set (0.00 sec)

So, I'm getting cache hits, but it doesn't seem to be making much
difference.

Any further suggestions?

R.
--