[geeklog-users] RSS to share Stories Content

ed e at marinx.com
Sun Feb 29 15:10:31 EST 2004

I was wondering if it would be possilbe to use GL RSS feeds to share
actual content across multiple geeklog sites.

I realize you can use syndication plugin (1.3.9rc1) to share multiple
rss feeds.
This is very nice and I appreciate it.

But what if two or more "sister" GL sites want to share all their
content under an "umbrella" GL site?
Would it be possible to use the RSS to create Story Intro Text content,
and then the READ MORE link could link out to the sister site.

It seems very powerful to me, sort of a step beyond the traditional
sindication.
Incorporate storing the Intro Text items into the LOCAL DB store, make
it searchable, now you have truly integrated content.

Maybe in the Topics Admin section you have:

Topic
External Topic (RSS)

   --  RSS address = URL
   --  Limit Story Intro Text = xx characters
   --  If no Intro Text import = y/n
   --  Store in local datastore = y/n
   --  Searchable = y/n   (*note impact on performance and frequency of
updates)
   --  Security context permissions, etc.
   --  Two-way Add New Stories = y/n
   --  RSS feed for sister sites to subscribe to = path/name.xml

What do you think?
Doable?