[geeklog-users] replace @ with @ to fight spam

Ed Weinberg edw at q5comm.com
Mon Jan 5 22:59:12 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 13:15, Tony Bibbs wrote:
> Geeklog tends to hide any actual email addresses and, instead, posts
> links to the profile page for a given user where email can be sent.
> Now, if you are asking to filter out addresses entered by users, that is
> another story.  You should submit this a feature request to
> http://project.geeklog.net...

That is what I am looking for!
Maybe the spammers will figure it out eventually, but only if enough
sites do it...and I don't see that happening soon.  I am thinking of
munging the "." too.

I am new to php, but somebody suggested that I look in lib-common.php.

And I found where other substitutions were being made for html and
plain-old-text, and added something like the following in both places:
    $A['introtext'] = str_replace( '@', '@', $A['introtext'] );
    $A['bodytext'] = str_replace( '@', '@', $A['bodytext'] );

This works in the body of stories.  I need to find where to do it in the
title and in static pages some day.  At least in static pages when I
enter the munged @ by hand it in by hand it does not get removed!  It
seemed to get removed in stories.  Yes, I need more testing...like
comments.

I could not find a place to ask for new features on project.geeklog.net.
Were can I get a copy of source.php?

--
Ed Weinberg <edw at q5comm.com>